This is your opportunity to comment on what we will do next! The next LALO production will be the last weekend of February and the first weekend of March, 2018.
Recently, the LALO Board listed and discussed 25 possible light operas for our 2018 show. Out of those, we chose five. The criteria are as follows: availability (from the rights-holder-depends on whether the show is still on Broadway or on tour), good music, large cast with both women and men, dancing, uplifting, family-friendly, not “dated” (with inappropriate racial, cultural references) and not presented recently in Los Alamos.
The short list:
- Once Upon a Mattress (R&H Theatricals)
- Guys and Dolls (Musical Theatre International)
- Oliver (MTI)
- Pajama Game (MTI)
- 42nd Street (Tams-Witmark Music Library)
Please pick your favorite(s) from this list and tell us if, and in what capacity you might like to participate. Do you want to see it? Be in it? Be a principal actor? Be in the chorus? Dance? Play in the Orchestra? Work on a backstage crew? Do you want to be the producer? The director? The music director?
We welcome your feedback and are looking to make the final decision by mid-March, so please respond to firstname.lastname@example.org with your comments by February 28th.
If there is another show that you want to direct that meets our criteria, please fill out the Production Proposal Form below and return it by February 28th. Don’t worry too much about an exact budget. We know basically how much it costs to put on a show, so you only need to provide unplanned, additional costs that may arise, i.e. how are you going to pay for that chandelier in Phantom of the Opera?
The board is looking forward to enthusiastic responses, so let us hear from you!
If you’re not on our new email list, please sign up here!
Following are instructions for proposing a show not on the “short list” above. Please make all submissions by February 28th, 2017.
1. Potential directors should request and review possible scripts before making your final decision on the proposed show. See the list of past productions here.
- Musical Theater International
- R&H (Rodgers & Hammerstein) Theatricals
- Samuel French
- Tams-Witmark Music Library
- **Note – Gilbert and Sullivan are in the public domain and no royalties are required, just rental or purchase of scripts and music.
2. Identify the Musical Director and Producer first
3. Complete the Proposal Form for LALO Board review
4. Submit completed forms via mail or electronically (to email@example.com) by February 28, 2017.
5. Completed proposals will be reviewed by the LALO Board, and directors will be invited to come to present their proposal.
- LALO 2018 Production will be held on the following dates: 2/23, 2/24, 2/25, 3/2, and 3/3 at the Duane Smith Auditorium.
- Suggested that auditions to be held in October, 2017, with rehearsals to begin in November, 2017.
- Please consider these criteria: availability (from the rights-holder – depends on whether the show is still on Broadway or on tour), good music, large cast with both women and men, dancing, uplifting, family-friendly, not “dated” (with inappropriate racial, cultural references) and not presented recently in Los Alamos.
- Rehearsals are held in a variety of locations around Los Alamos (local churches do not typically charge much for rent if anything). In February, rehearsals will mostly be moved to Duane Smith Auditorium.
- Your creativity in keeping costs down is an overall benefit for LALO.
- Duane Smith Auditorium info: http://laschools.net/domain/6
- If your proposal is selected, the LALO Board is available to assist as needed.
- All proposals and directors will have an opportunity to present their plan to the LALO Board.